How Long have you been commuting?
I have been biking to work (and school as a grad student) for 6 years.
Why do you commute?
I bike to work to several reasons.
- I live too close to drive. It's hard on a car to drive only a short distance and never really get the engine warmed up. And, I can bike to work faster than I can drive because I get to utilize the bike/walk path that cuts through near the Adams High School tennis courts.
- I get to park right outside my building. Parking at IUSB is always in short supply. When I bike, I get a "prime parking space" right next to the door of my building. At Oklahoma State, I lived off campus. As such, had I requested on-campus parking, I would have been assigned to the commuter lot on the northeast corner of campus. My building was on the southwest corner of campus (and I lived southwest of the university). So, instead of biking 1.2 miles to campus, I would drive 2.3 miles and walk back to the other side of campus (about 3/4s of a mile).
- I don't have to pay for a parking permit. At IUSB, faculty and staff are charged a sliding fee for parking based on their salary. That fee ranges from $165 to $495.60 per year. I have an issue with having to pay to park where I work, and I just won't do it.
- It saves gas! We are a two car family, but biking to work (and elsewhere when possible/practical) certainly saves gas. Last time I got gas in my car? November 18, 2007!
- It's the right thing to do, plain and simple.
How far do you commute?
I have a very short commute of .58 miles.
Do you commute all year?
Yep, almost every day. The only days I don't bike to work are when it's really raining. I don't own rain gear. On rainy days, I grab the umbrella and walk (it take a whopping 8 minutes or so to walk). If it's really pouring, my wife will run me over to campus.
What type of bike do you ride?
A Kona Dew Deluxe
Do you have any tips for commuting?
Invest in a decent bike. If your bike isn't a joy to ride, invest in a new one. Plan on spending more than $300. If it saves you buying gas at $3.50 a gallon, that's only 85 gallons. In a car with a 16 gallon tank, that's only 5 tanks. If you fill up once a week, you'll pay for your bike in just over a month.
What gear does a person need to commute?
I really like the rack attached to the back of my bike. I have two grocery panniers that can hold quite a bit. The trunk bag hold my lock and a few tools and a spare tube and pump. If you get the accessories you need to carry whatever you take to work, there's no reason not to ride!